COVID-19 Self-Quarantine Instructions & Housing
Institute has now received updated guidance from our local public health
agencies. As you are preparing to move to Caltech this September, we would like
to update you on our plans for mitigating risks for the spread of infection and
ensuring a smooth transition to campus.
Upon arrival at Caltech, the Institute will require that everyone moving into Caltech Housing undergoes arrival testing for COVID-19 and completes a mandatory on-campus quarantine. This process, which is outlined in detail below, is reflective of Caltech's commitment to prioritizing the health and wellbeing of our community. We believe it is a prudent approach for managing new living arrangements for multiple occupant apartments.
In order to effectively implement these new measures and to manage space across campus, we have intentionally staggered check-in dates and times for all newly arriving students. PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE EARLY OR LATE CHECK-INS WITH THIS PROCESS; AND YOU CAN ONLY CHECK IN DURING THE HOURS OF YOUR ASSIGNED CHECK-IN APPOINTMENT SLOT. Check-in times are from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday only. If you plan to arrive in Los Angeles on the weekend or after hours, you will need to make independent arrangements to stay off campus until your assigned check-in day and time.
Please also remember that when you come to campus to check-in, you will be expected to follow the Institute's Health and Hygiene Policy for Graduate Students, which includes requirements for wearing face coverings and maintaining physical distancing, among other measures.
CHECK-IN, QUARANTINE, AND TESTING PROCESS:
- When you arrive, you will need to check in with Student Wellness Services to receive your COVID-19 test. After you are tested you will receive your new Caltech ID. In order to reduce person-to-person contact we will be emailing your temporary quarantine room assignment, instructions and expectations for the duration of your quarantine ahead of time.
- Undergraduate dorm rooms on campus have been designated for use as quarantine space. You will be expected to reside in your on-campus quarantine assignment for a minimum of a week and then retested 7 days after your arrival date. Please bring sufficient clothing, linens, and personal items to support your personal needs for the duration of the quarantine period. Caltech Dining will be providing meals to you at no additional charge while you are in quarantine. Additional information regarding dining will be sent ahead of time.
- Students should plan to bring all of the necessary clothing, personal hygiene supplies, and other items needed to complete a 14 day self-quarantine period. A suggested packing list can be found here.
- After you receive a negative test result (approximately 24 to 48 hours) you will receive your graduate housing assignment information and will need to start moving and complete your move that day.
- When you have completed your move, you must submit a Quarantine Housing Room Move form to indicate that you have moved to your permanent assignment.
- If you receive a positive COVID-19
test upon check-in or at the test on the 7th day, you will need to immediately
relocate into isolation housing, in another undergraduate residence.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE PICKING AN ARRIVAL DATE/TIME:
- Your check-in date/time should not conflict with your participation in any mandatory events or activities (New Student Orientation, Teaching Conference, Option Events, etc.)
Here is the list of check-in dates available; please make sure to list your top 3 choices on the form: https://caltechhousing.wufoo.com/forms/w1q25de7141xgtm/
The deadline for submitting your top three choices is 12 p.m. on Friday, August 21, 2020. Once you have submitted your form and the deadline has passed, we will begin reaching out to you to provide your confirmed arrival date and time. You will also receive your room type and roommate information in advance of arrival. Strict adherence with this process and the protocols outlined above is necessary to ensure all residents complete a quarantine period and have cleared testing prior to moving into permanent assignments.
QUARANTINE CHECK-IN SCHEDULE:
Quarantine Check In September 1, 2020
Retest September 8, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 9, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 2, 2020
Retest September 9, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 10, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 3, 2020
Retest September 10, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 11, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 10, 2020
Retest September 17, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 18, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 15, 2020
Retest September 22, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 23, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 17, 2020
Retest September 24, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 25, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 22, 2020
Retest September 29, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In September 30, 2020
Quarantine Check In September 29, 2020
Retest October 6, 2020
Quarantine Check out/Cats Check In October 7, 2020
There is additional COVID-19 information on our website at: https://coronavirus.caltech.edu/
If you need to cancel please use this Cancellation From: https://mod-sec-ext.caltech.edu/pls/NoAuthenHousing/f?p=2003:22
Thank you for your understanding and continued flexibility.